Monday, June 24, 2013

Suddenly, I'm That Old Creepy Guy...

Granted, some of you may have already come to that conclusion a while ago, but for the rest of you, let me explain.

It wasn't very long ago that I posted about the weird creepiness I felt about admiring "younger" women, due to the fact that I have kids of my own.  I posted about the Scarlett Johansson pictures and my surprise that she was only 26 (at the time).  I'm nearly 50 and I think I felt the same way when I was 40 or 30 about gawking over much younger ladies.  Of course, throughout our culture we know about these romances between much younger women and much older men.  In the comments, Ms Inconspicuous (a blogger I truly miss reading) reminded me that she wasn't all that young.  But even so, I just always felt like if I found myself staring at the fine body of a woman more than half my age, there would be a circle of hidden women who are my age looking at me from some undisclosed location via closed circuit cameras shaking their heads and saying, and I quote, "Tsk, tsk, tsk. What a creepy man."

My son has always dated beautiful, smart, funny women.  I've had to catch myself over the years not being that creepy guy.  He also has many female friends from school, including more than a few who we have known since elementary school.  I'm friends (and my wife is) on Facebook with some of them.  I sometimes think that maybe these ladies, all in their mid to late 20's forget that they are friends with me when they post pictures.

I have come to the conclusion that one such friend is quite possibly the most photogenic, sexuality displaying woman I have ever seen.  Yet, I've known this girl since she was in 2nd grade.  She posted photos of herself in her bikini yesterday and all I saw was these beautiful eyes and lips that said, "Yes Mr. Break, I would so let you go down on me."  Is this the beginning of a mid-life crisis?  Am I that 50 year old guy who wants a younger woman?  I thought my mid-life crisis involved dicks in my mouth.

Anyone wanna offer some thoughts on this.  Do other men feel this way?  Ladies, am I just totally gross for even having these thoughts?  

6 comments:

CuriousRob said...

What on earth would your age have to do with whether or not you can appreciate the beauty of youth? I get it feeling a little weirder because of how long you've known the girl, but curves and bumps are curves and bumps no matter what your age is. They wouldn't be there if we weren't supposed to (discretely) admire them.

Kat said...

You are most definitely NOT a creep (well, at least not for that reason). You are a healthy man. You're hard wired to be attracted to young women. If you weren't, I'd say that something was definitely wrong with you.

Just remember that the attraction and the action are two different things.

ST said...

I think it is natural to have those conflicting thoughts but I also think it's totally normal and healthy to have those desires and those feelings! I agree with the others. It doesn't matter your age. There is a big difference between being older and appreciating beauty and being "creepy and older." As a 20-something girl, it is fairly easy to tell the difference.

monkey girl said...

I agree w/Kat....not a creep. And as a once 19/20/21 year old that WAS attracted to older men, you'd be surprised how few girls think it's creepy. The biggest age gap I dated was 19(me) 54(him), and he wasn't the least bit creepy.

Ethan Lambert said...

Can I just say that "I thought my mid-life crisis involved dicks in my mouth" is about the funniest thing I've read all year!

JFBreak said...

curves and bumps are curves and bumps no matter what your age is

You're hard wired to be attracted to young women

There is a big difference between being older and appreciating beauty and being "creepy and older."

you'd be surprised how few girls think it's creepy

Thanks everybody. Your comments truly do make me feel a little less creepy about it. Let the gawking (discretely, of course) begin without guilt.

"I thought my mid-life crisis involved dicks in my mouth"

Thanks, Ethan. Every squirrel finds a nut now and then!