Friday, April 8, 2016

Article: The Voyeur's Motel

I first heard about this Motel in Colorado while listening to the podcast Strangers with host Lea Thau interviewing famed writer Gay Talese.  That interview prompted me to read Thy Neighbor's Wife, a book I absolutely enjoyed and mentioned a few times here back when I was reading it.  Mr. Talese mentioned the story of a rich man who purchased a motel for the explicit purpose of using it to fulfill his voyeuristic needs by studying the motel guests through little vents he had built into the ceilings of each room.  At the time, he was unable to provide specifics because the owner had made him sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Now, I'm happy to report that the owner of the motel, Mr. Gerald Foos has agreed to let a book be written about his voyeur motel, and I am not embarrassed to tell you that I will be purchasing said book as soon as it is available.  A great article about this bizarre affair can be found in The New Yorker called, The Voyeur's Motel.  Take a read, won't you.

Just to be clear, I've certainly always considered myself a voyeur in terms of my fascination with observing others.  I'm not the type to go peering through windows in my neighborhood by hiding in bushes or busting out binoculars.  Admittedly though, I rarely pass up a "free show", that is, looking at what through serendipity presents itself to my observant eyes.  If I am walking down the sidewalk and someone is dancing nude in their living room with the curtains open, I'm not about to look the other way.  I guess what I'm saying is, my neighbors don't need to worry that I would set up surveillance cameras aimed at their restroom windows, but on the other hand, if the MILF next door washes her Mercedes in a bikini, I'll certainly find a reason to work in my garage for a few extra minutes.

More to the point, I guess the fact that I happily watch another guy have sex with my wife puts me into the category of voyeur, without question.

Any voyeur stories you care to share?  Feel free to leave a comment or send an e-mail.

No comments: