Friday, September 8, 2017

And Now Comes Irma...

In the olden days before the sophist acted weather technology that allows us to track and predict these things, you would have some religious zealots claiming God was flooding the earth to pay for people playing grab-ass with one another.  Granted, I'm sure there are still those people will blame this all on an act of God for some reason, but regardless, the 24 hour news cycle shows us how this is forming, the science behind it, and thankfully, with enough warning to make the decisions needed to be made when a catastrophe of, well, biblical proportions is bearing down.  

I know of at least one reader here who is getting his family out of harms way and I'm hoping others are heading toward safety.  I have a lot of family right in the path of this one, so if you are the praying type, I'm sure your warm thoughts are welcome.

I probably sound like a dick for even mentioning this in a blog post about so much disaster, but I returned late last night from about 9 days of vacation in a northern state where the temps were quite brisk.  Down here in San Antonio, we live on the very edge of the desert. It is dry and brown most of the time.  Whenever I travel to the east coast or up north, it is so different seeing colors.  Getting up and taking a morning walk with the temperatures under 50 degrees is quite a cool change.

While I've been gone, it was nice to see family, but I have suffered a very work related depression.  No, I'm not fired and I haven't quit my job, I'm just feeling down about things at work and frankly, this is not like me.  I love my job, and I'm the guy who people look at strangely because I look forward to going to work.  I have until Monday to get the fuck over it and get on with life.

For those of you who I e-mail frequently, I hope to get back into my normal routine after this weekend.  In the meantime, be safe, everyone.

6 comments:

Southern Swinger said...

I live in Punta Gorda and still don't know if we will get the west side or the east but I am prepared for either. Just hope we have no loss of life.

JFBreak said...

@SothernSwinger - Please be safe.

bdenied said...

its always depressing returning to work after a vacation. I am with you and your family as I too have relatives living where you are from. Not the Texas part, the origins. We r safe in SC but glued to the news. What a life disruption

Southern Swinger said...

Well Irma has come and mostly gone from Florida. I and my friends are all OK. I live in a Senior Continuing Care facility. I am not allowed to say old folks home. I am in independent living and our building serves as a shelter so I stayed put. We all moved from our apartment to the hallway at about three yesterday, Sunday, and back to our apartment about ten. Looks like Florida as a whole escaped with less than expected but still some areas were hard hit. Need to change my handle. As an 81 year old widow swinging does not seem to be on the agenda.Although, there are plenty of single females around and some are very forward, not sure I am ready. Time will tell.

JFBreak said...

I'm glad all the Florida friends have survived this mess. @Southern Swinger: I'd say you are never to old for a little fun times. I'm sure there are quite a few ladies craving some attention! Play safe!

Southern Swinger said...

Well I had my first "date" in 60 years last week. How does a former swinger behave on a vanilla date? This is going to be a learning experience.